Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Leaving spiritual adultery of Zeta Phi Beta to follow Christ

Resurrecting Faith

In this issue, we remember the crucifixion and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He died on the cross for the remission of OUR past, present and future sins…nothing that He did wrong. Salvation was the purpose. He defeated sin by bearing our iniquities so that we could be reconciled back unto God the Father. There are many gifts and talents that we can use to praise God, but there is only one way to Him and that way is Jesus Christ, “…I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me,” John 14:6, KJV.

Observing the sacrifice of the Lamb brings to mind all that He was willing to give for me…for us. Thinking back to the foolish decision and choices I’ve made in my life causes me to praise Him even more because God has saved me from myself. One of those choices was to commit spiritual adultery. I cheated on God not knowing that I was truly doing myself a disservice. I joined a sorority (Zeta Phi Beta) not knowing really what I was getting in to. I had heard about others being hazed (beaten and/or disrespected), but personally I didn’t encounter any of that. We went to church, we praised God, and we knew who OUR Lord was. But God challenged me one day, thirteen years later in the fall of 2008 (to the season) in which I had pledged (fall 1995).

God had me to pull out those items I had saved all those years since pledging to get rid of everything associated with the sorority: handbook, receipts for dues payments, and all paraphernalia. Now, leading up to the fall of 2008, I had heard God’s voice as His Holy Spirit was dealing with me. I didn’t know exactly what it was when I began feeling uncomfortable in the preceding years (almost two) when I met other Zetas. People who knew I was a Zeta introduced me to other Zetas and it made me feel ashamed. I didn’t know why I was feeling like this, but I now understand that because I was drawing closer to God, He was drawing closer to me (reference James 4:8). He was purging me. He explained to me that He had to separate me because He did not want to lose me. Yes, I heard those words.

In throwing my former possessions into a burning flame of fire, I still searched for something that said it was all right. I looked through the handbook and there was God in the pages, but the Holy Spirit said, “What god are they talking about?” Jesus was no where to be found between the pages. As I tossed sweaters and objects that bore the name Zeta Phi Beta, God had me to look down at numerous receipts of membership dues paid in the past. And again I was convicted about the time I had pledged years earlier. “You paid that sorority when you weren’t even paying your tithes.” That hurt me, although by this point I had been paying my tithes and giving to the church regularly for years. But to come to the realization that I had done that to the True and Living God was sobering. Who was god in my life? “Thou shalt have no other gods before me,” Exodus 20:3, KJV. Listen here at a song we used to sing on this Zeta chapter's website. (Now, read Matthew 22:37). That was it! It is so painfully clear now in seeing another greet others in the name of a sorority, fraternity, or any organization for that matter, the excitement of linking up, pales in comparison when finding another brother or sister in Christ.

In denouncing the sorority, I later formally submitted a letter to the headquarters (a hard and an electronic copy) along with this scripture, Revelation 22:12-16. They probably thought I was crazy, but the things of God are considered foolish to the world… “But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God,” 1 Corinthians 1:23-24, KJV.

I have been blessed to be connected with Keya Brown who also pledged the same sorority that I had during the same time that I had and denounced after about the same amount of years I had. I met her after we had both denounced this sorority. What a Divine Appointment. Below you can read her personal account and the road she traveled back to full fellowship with the Lord.

The Testimony Corner welcomes Minister Fred Hachett who not only pledged Omega Psi Phi in the past, but is also formerly of the Masonic Order. He sheds personal insight behind a notoriously secretive organization. Those who have ears let them hear.

No comments: