Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Chapter Closed: Confessions of an Ex- Black Greek - Rachel Miller

https://faithoutsidethecamp.wordpress.com/

“If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth”-1 John 1:6 ESV
Before I begin, let me first make clear exactly who this message is intended for. By no means am I attempting to sway, or negotiate those not a part of the Christian Faith to denounce their respective Greek Letter Organizations. I am specifically speaking to those individuals who affiliate themselves with Christianity. I am speaking to those who recognize Jesus Christ as their redeemer. Their giver of eternal life. The One they deem as Lord, and God over their lives. To those who pray for healing, strength, and deliverance. The church-going folk. Those in the pews and pulpits—this is for you.
The Inspiration
It’s no doubt Greek Letter Organizations easily catch the attention of eager college freshman–either from admiration or jealousy. But for most, the appreciation for these organizations occurs before college, either through participation in community-affiliated mentoring groups or the influence of family members. In my opinion, sorority women were educated, involved, reputable, stylish, and did not seem harmful to emulate. I found this true of collegiate sorority women as well, and after accessible research on the organization, I decided to pledge.
However, after two years of membership, questions began to rise concerning my beloved organization. I remember being asked, “How do you keep your Faith in God genuine, while still being a part of an organization that worships a Greek god? Aren’t Christians supposed to worship God, The Creator, alone?” I replied with some recycled answer, “Oh, I don’t worship Delta, I am just a member.”
But, this question got my mind stirring. My attention was now directed at finding the falsehood behind the question. Ironically, during my search I found myself convicted; the Scriptures presented incomparable evidence that Black Greek Letter Organizations are in fact, rooted in idolatry and a direct contradiction to the God of the Bible.
Each Black Greek Letter Organization is associated with a Greek and Egyptian god or goddess. These figures are seen as the organization’s governing “parent” or foundation of the organization. In this god, all light, knowledge or wisdom is imparted to its members– at least throughout the pledging process. Often signaled by the lighting of candles during ceremonies, this “light” is only given to people privileged enough to be selected for membership. At this time, secrets and practices are learned to further affirm the member’s worth for selection; as if, building camaraderie by uplifting communities should certainly be done in secrecy. While researching, I found the evidence appalling and an absolute contradiction to the Only True God.
History of Bondage
In the Old Testament, the Israelites were held captive as slaves by the Pharaoh of Egypt for over four hundred years (Ex 1:8-14). In bondage, they were forced to work for Pharaoh by building cities and statues for worship, acting as false gods. This is the practice of idolatry, worshipping anything other than the God of the Hebrew people. To demonstrate His sovereignty and presence, God forced a series of plagues to the people of Egypt (Ex  7:14- 12:32). After the Hebrew peoples’ deliverance, the act confirmed the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as the only true God and affirmed the Egyptian gods as weak, ineffective, and false (Ex 14:4).
Later the Prophet Jeremiah spoke concerning God’s warning against those who practice idolatry and worldly customs. With a series of metaphors and typological comparisons, Believers are reminded to not fall prey to a nation’s customs. Vain and lifeless, the practice of idolatry is not harmful (in the present life) nor beneficial; but furthermore highlights its lack of power. (10)
God has since rescued us, cleansed us from any union with idols in the Old Covenant. Once we accept the freedom we have in His sight, it is our responsibility to remove any aspect of our lifestyle that places us at enmity with Himself.
The cold, hard Truth
So my question is, “Why are Black Greek Letter Organizations yoking with the very thing we have been freed from?”
Exodus 20:1-5a ESV commands,
“And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God,”
Yes, it is that serious! We cannot claim to be delivered, redeemed children of God and have partnership with anything contrary to Him. Bottom line: God will not dismiss blasphemy. He will not bypass his reverence, or honor for our instant pleasure. While researching Delta Sigma Theta, I remembered the notion of Delta’s “foundation on Christian principles.” Yet, I hardly recall learning of them during the pledging process. Even if the notion holds valid, my mind cannot comprehend the purpose or motive behind the massive amount of secrecy within Black Greek Organizations. I question, If members are accomplishing so many great things why fail to share it with others? After all, this is instructed by Christ to His disciples. Our light, given only by God through the Holy Spirit, directs us in all truth (John 16:13) and should be shown to others so that they too, may be delivered from darkness (Matt 5:13-16, 2 Cor. 4:6). If in fact the organizations are founded on Christian principles, say it. Prove it. Proclaim it. Make it known so that it may be Jesus Christ we worship, instead of a falsehood that encourages secret practices and God-like worship to a lifeless object, lacking power and character, thus having no authority to save us.
Freemasonry: The Father of Black Greek Organizations
It is to my understanding that Black Greek Organizations stem from Freemasonry, a fraternal organization whose roots are traced back to the 14th century. In order to become a mason, a man MUST make a profession of deity, meaning, he must believe in a god. But, not necessarily the God of the Bible. Freemasons hold that all religions are created by The Grand Architect of the Universe (god) and all religions are permissible for entry into “The Celestial Lodge Above” (Heaven). It believes that as members gain more degrees in Freemasonry, they are seen to be in right-standing with The Grand Architect of the Universe.
This is not the Gospel.  Freemasonry is a false religion which teaches that one’s own efforts, merit, and works are permissible for eternal life. This indeed is blasphemy, and a man-made religion not honored by God. We know that we are born opposed from God, and that apart from our faith in Him and grace given to us through His Son, Jesus, we are futile and well-deserving of His wrath. He is the only way to eternal life. All roads do not lead to Rome.
Worship? I am only a member…
Worship is synonymous with any aspect of religious allegiance. And, this is the very practice Black Greek Organizations are affiliated with—vowing their allegiance to servethe organization. To those in Black Greek Organizations, I challenge you to take a glance in your ritual book and see how it places the organization on a religious pedestal, as if it has some equality with God. Every good deed or service act is always in the name of XYZ organization. It has a prayer, often beginning with a doxological reference, it has a series of songs/chants that proclaim your “love, peace, happiness,” and a secret motto or public motto… And if you still fail to see the truth, the very fact that you own a RITUAL BOOK, should be clear enough.
I am convinced, Satan can sprinkle a little scholarship, community service, and brotherly camaraderie on any sin to make it look good. I was once told, “I only pledged for the networking opportunities.” But, take a closer look. It is foolish to assume that our hope in career endeavors is dependent on our affiliation in an organization. And furthermore, to compromise this at the expense of our souls is disheartening and reveals our little faith in Christ. James 1:5 ESV reads, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him.” Rest in God’s comfort. He will give us the desires of our hearts, providing that we seek Him and genuinely are His children. Our efforts for good works must point to Christ and our own righteousness is unruly in the sight of God (Isa 64:6). Yet, when we serve for Him, learn for Him, and join together for Him, it deters the focus away from us, pointing to His glory.
Back to Reality
Even if you are not heavily involved with the organization, the fact that you took an oath to adhere to its principles and beliefs is a dishonor to God. Having any participation with Freemasonry or its partner organizations (Order of the Eastern Stars, Job’s Daughter, DeMolay International, Black Greek Organizations) that require members to swear never to reveal secrets can only be composed by the Father of Lies. Trust me, you’re in deeper than you thought.
I was unaware of the truth behind secret societies at the time I became a member of Delta. But even when sinning unknowingly, God desires repentance (Lev 5:4-6). We are not His robots that He operates to force His will upon. We have been given a gift of choice; and He alone desires us to choose Him in free will with all reverence and worship. So even when we sin, our hearts are inclined to seek Him, broken in repentance (Ps 51:17).
Keep in mind, worship is not only limited to giving praises to or kneeling before the presence of a god(although I did both of these as part of initiation), it can simply be giving a considerable amount of time or money to a cause that fails to give The Creator His due honor.
The Perfect Remedy
Just as God raised up Moses as the deliverer for the Israelites, we too have a deliverer of sins in Jesus Christ. The New Testament recognizes the Israelites exodus from Egypt as a foreshadow for a much greater deliverance. God, the Father, has provided this for His people, releasing us from the bondage of sin and death (Col 1:13-14, Rom 8:1-2). As mentioned a few paragraphs up, God will not dismiss sin. In order to justify sin in the sight of God, a sacrifice must be offered (Lev 1, Heb. 9:22); a spotless, blameless, Holy One. And this was offered to God on behalf of the world’s sins. This was pleasing to God to offer His Son as the Perfect Remedy, so that through Him we have full access to live blameless and spotless in His sight. All sins, past and present, known and unknown are forgiven for those who place their trust in Jesus. He will forgive us (1 John 1:9), but we must seek Him for eternal life. What a great God to serve!
God loves us. However, He will not tolerate people claiming to be His children while secretly serving a god of this world (Num 14:18).
So, ask yourself:
1. Have I tried defending my organization, which cannot defend me?
2. Do I share this same zeal for my career, personal relationships, or my walk with Christ that I have for my organization?
3. I am well-versed in my organization’s founding principles, cardinal values, founders, and charter members more than how to witness the Gospel to an unbeliever?
4. Do I tend to my organization’s legal business (meetings, conferences, etc…) more than I pray, read, or commune with other believers?
Let it marinate…
Now, I can proceed with several other Scriptures that condemn idolatry but that is not my aim. My sole aim is to urge you to examine your life and where your  allegiance truly lies. I seek not to appeal to emotions, but objectivity alone. If reading this has convicted you, find comfort in God’s overwhelming amount of renewed mercies and grace that allow us to repent and place our faith in Him indefinitely.
 “14. Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15.  And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:14-15
Prayer for the Convicted
Dear God, I know that you’re there. I know by all of the visible and invisible qualities around me (Rom. 1:18-32). Father, I now recognize how I’ve unknowingly sinned against you. God, You desire to be honored and glorified. You alone made this world and the things in it (Ps 146:6). Father, help me to not worship creation but You, The Creator. Lord, I desire to be wholly Yours, having no partnership with anything unlike You. Help me, Holy Spirit, to better understand Your ways and statutes. I thank You for the freedom I have through, Jesus the Christ. You foreknew that I would sin against you. You know every thought and desire brewing in my heart, how mighty is your mystery. Your sovereignty continues to amaze me. So I repent Father, and will not yoke with any sort of idolatry that blasphemes Your Name and abilities (2 Cor 6:14). If there is any part of my heart that still desires to be a part of this organization, or aspect of my lifestyle which fails to glorify You, please remove it (Ps 139:23-24). I understand that Satan has crafty ways to deter people from you. These tactics even seem right unto man. But, Father I know this leads to death (Prov. 14:12). I thank you for giving me eyes to see and ears to hear the Truth of your Gospel, and more so, I thank You for the conviction to understand the seriousness of your wrath. Abba Father, I am seeking you with my whole heart, please help me find you (Jer. 29:13). Place Godly counsel in my life that can help to mature me in the Faith. Incline my heart to your truths (Ps 119:36), I now trust in your righteousness alone. Amen.
“and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32

No comments: